Monday, May 19, 2008

Redemption

I have my students do crazy assignments all the time. Sometimes I make them write poems that make no sense or write a story about the posters on my wall. I always have a purpose, and I have hope that my assignments will be fruitful. They are sometimes, and sometimes they're not. One time, though, I got more than I ever asked for. I asked my students to write about redemption, who needs it, how does one get it, what does it mean. Their responses were overwhelming. Everyone one of them said that people all need redemption. Amen to that.

I have known about and thought about redemption and how I need it for a long time, thank God. Almost twenty years ago, God redeemed my life from the debt of sin I owed and brought me from death into life. All the goodness in my life is because of Him, and I'm so glad He saved me. But, I'm even more glad that He didn't stop there. See, redepmtion doesn't just mean all of these things: to buy back, to get or win back, to free from captivity by payment of ransom. It also means to restore and to repair. God redeemed me, he freed me from my captivity, but He didn't stop there. He's been restoring all the hurt and all the bad in me for a long time now. He's repairing all the broken and all the mess.

In The Scarlet Letter, there is a rosebush outside the jail Hester Prynne is in, and the narrator tells us that the rosebush is to symbolize "some sweet moral blossom, that may be found along the track, or relieve the darkening close of a tale of human frailty and sorrow." Well, I may not wear my sin on my chest like Hester does, but without the repair and restoration God works in my life, mine would be a tale of frailty and sorrow. But, because of His tender love and mercy, it's not. Instead, there is hope. Instead, he puts beauty in my life where I have only sewn selfishness and ugliness. I know people always say you reap what you sow, but, if I did, my life would be horrible.

The roses in this picture are from a bush in my backyard that I get to look at every day. My granny planted this bush and tended it. She used to take pictures of all the beautiful things in her backyard, and we, her family, thought it a bit odd that she took so many photos of plants and flowers. But, I just realized that maybe she was up to a little more than that. She usually was. See, when I see those flowers, I can't help but think of God's goodness. I want to capture that beauty just like she did.

Those flowers remind me that He is the author and creator of all that's good. They remind me that He can fix what's broken. A friend of mine told me about a time she and an ex spent part of a night at a Family Inn off 75N. She gave him her heart and her body, and he turned the TV remote control back in at the end of the night for a 5$ refund. She was broken after that, broken hearted and broken in spirit. But, God repaired that brokenness. He reminded her that He sees her as beautiful. He reminded her that He gave His life for her. And so, her heart is healed. I'm glad God took care of her, and I'm glad He takes care of me.

There's so much good in my life, I almost can't believe it. I think of the great family I have and the way they love me at my worst. My nephew is the coolest kid on the planet, and he loves me so much. My brother and sisters make me feel like I can do anything. I have friends who love me even after I have wronged them and been a huge jerk to them. I have a beautiful house I live in for free. My backyard is full of honeysuckle that smells so sweet. I have a great job in a safe, encouraging environment. I have the peace of Jesus that passes all understanding and the promise that He is working and moving in my life. He's getting rid of all the bad and replacing it with His goodness. Whew, my life is great.




This is a picture of both my nephews in all their cuteness. Gardner was sticking a straw in the hole where his tooth once was. Silas is chillin' with Aunt Carol. Dang, I love those kids. These are the gorgeous roses in my yard. They are amazingly beautiful. I wish this computer had smellovision. I'd put the honeysuckle smell on here. Since it doesn't, stop by the old Cavin homestead and smell ya some.



No comments: